New Brunswick


If your doctor doesn’t understand what Chemical Sensitivity or Scent Disabilities are you will have to educate them. This document from the Women’s College Hospital of Toronto Environmental Sensitivities Department clearly outlines the medical requirements and calls out lack of knowledgable specialists. It’s 42 pages long so you might want to email it to them. 

There is no Environmental Health clinic in New Brunswick that I know of. Nova Scotia Health Authority Integrated Chronic Care Services, outside of Halifax, accepts referrals from family doctors across the country and internationally. Nurse practitioners can refer patients within the province. They accept adults and children.

If you cannot travel to Nova Scotia, ask your family doctor to send you to an immunologist or a rheumatologist with an interest in chemical issues. Ask that your doctor send the specialist the Teach a Doctor PDF, and that they contact the Environmental Sensitivities Clinic for additional literature. This referral form is very long, but fill it all out and bring it with you to the specialist. It will help tease out your medical history.

If your doctor is ignoring your chemical sensitivities or will not refer you to a specialist, report them to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.


Contact New Brunswick Leaders

I’m getting to this!

​Contact Federal Government

Ginette Petitpas Taylor
Minister of Health

Kirsty Duncan
Minister of Science/Sport and People with Disabilities

Justin Trudeau
Prime Minister
Fax: 613-941-6900

Contact Local Politicians

I’m getting to this too!

Contact Lawyers

If your work place is not complying with your disability, you can contact a lawyer for advice. This is a good starting point.

New Brunswick Human Rights Commission
Complaint instructions
Complaint hotline: 1-888-471-2233 (toll-free)

Canadian Human Rights Commission
Make a complaint
Toll Free: 1-888-214-1090
TTY: 1-888-643-3304
FAX: 613-996-9661
Twitter: @cdnhumanrights
Facebook: CanadianHumanRightsCommission
Youtube: CHRC


Get Active.
Be heard.

Copy any of the information below and email, tweet, instagram or facebook it to your candidates. We can make a difference.

Chemical sensitivity has been a recognized disability since 2000 and a protected class in the humans rights commission since 2007. Yet toxic cleaners and scented products are still being used in all hospitals, community centres, schools, transit and government buildings. This is a detriment to approximately 15% of the population of Canada, based on studies by the Women’s College Hospital Environmental Sensitivities physicians. This creates further disability and cost.

Why don’t we have adult or Paediatric Environmental Sensitivities specialists in New Brunswick? Why aren’t schools following the safe guidelines?​ We need a better base standard of care for kids.

We need to institute a scent free policy for the staff in public buildings based off the existing policy the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. People are getting hurt.

We need knowledge management outreach to educate doctors throughout Canada about chemical sensitivities and their treatments, and increase funding to our current specialists so they can work on ensuring people in need are not further disabled. What are you doing to help?