Northwest Territories


If your doctor doesn’t understand what Chemical Sensitivity or Scent Disabilities are you will have to educate them. This document from the Women’s College Hospital of Toronto Environmental Sensitivities Department clearly outlines the medical requirements and calls out lack of knowledgable specialists. It’s 42 pages long so you might want to email it to them. 

There is no Environmental Health clinic in the Northwest Territories that I know of. Nova Scotia Health Authority Integrated Chronic Care Services, outside of Halifax, accepts referrals from family doctors across the country and internationally. Nurse practitioners can refer patients within the province. They accept adults and children.

If you cannot travel to Nova Scotia, ask your family doctor to send you to an immunologist or a rheumatologist with an interest in chemical issues. Ask that your doctor send the specialist the Teach a Doctor PDF, and that they contact the Environmental Sensitivities Clinic for additional literature. This referral form is very long, but fill it all out and bring it with you to the specialist. It will help tease out your medical history.

If your doctor is ignoring your chemical sensitivities or will not refer you to a specialist, report them to Health and Social Services. 


Contact Northwest Territories Leaders

I’m getting to this!

​Contact Federal Government

Ginette Petitpas Taylor
Minister of Health

Kirsty Duncan
Minister of Science/Sport and People with Disabilities

Justin Trudeau
Prime Minister
Fax: 613-941-6900

Contact Local Politicians

I’m getting to this too!

Contact Lawyers

If your work place is not complying with your disability, you can contact a lawyer for advice. This is a good starting point.

Northwest Territories Human Rights
Telephone: 867-669-5575
Toll Free: 1-888-669-5575

Canadian Human Rights Commission
Make a complaint
Toll Free: 1-888-214-1090
TTY: 1-888-643-3304
FAX: 613-996-9661
Twitter: @cdnhumanrights
Facebook: CanadianHumanRightsCommission
Youtube: CHRC