If your doctor doesn’t understand what Chemical Sensitivity or Scent Disabilities are you will have to educate them. This document from the Women’s College Hospital of Toronto Environmental Sensitivities Department clearly outlines the medical requirements and calls out lack of knowledgable specialists. It’s 42 pages long so you might want to email it to them. 

In Ontario, you can be referred to the Women’s College Hospital in Toronto. Just download and fill out the form and give it to your doctor to fax. They will ask your doctor for blood work to rule out other conditions, there is a 13 month wait, so get in your forms. They do not treat children. 

Nova Scotia Health Authority Integrated Chronic Care Services, outside of Halifax, accepts referrals from family doctors across the country and internationally. Nurse practitioners can refer patients within the province. They accept adults and children. 

If you cannot travel to Toronto or Nova Scotia, ask your family doctor to send you to an immunologist or a rheumatologist with an interest in chemical issues. Ask that your doctor send the specialist the Teach a Doctor PDF, and that they contact the Environmental Sensitivities Clinic for additional literature. This referral form is very long, but fill it all out and bring it with you to the specialist. It will help tease out your medical history.

If your doctor is ignoring your chemical sensitivities or will not refer you to a specialist, report them to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. 


Contact Ontario Leaders

Doug Ford won the Ontario elections and has claimed to be a Premier for the people. So let’s tell him that all people matter and he can lower costs for the province by changing out cleaning products in public spaces to non-toxic options. 

Doug Ford, Conservative

​Contact Federal Government

Ginette Petitpas Taylor
Minister of Health

Kirsty Duncan
Minister of Science/Sport and People with Disabilities

Justin Trudeau
Prime Minister
Fax: 613-941-6900

Contact Local Politicians

Let your local representatives, trustees and boards know you care about making our schools, hospitals and public spaces safe for people with chemical disabilities. Feel free to use the template.  

City Elections
Elections Ontario has done a great job of consolidating all the information for the province. Go to their site and input your postal code for more information. 

School Board Trustees 
Check who your school board trustees are here.

Ontario Public School Board​
(416) 340-2540

Contact Lawyers

If your work place is not complying with your disability, you can contact a lawyer for advice. These are good starting points.

Ontario Human Rights Legal Support Centre
Tel: 416-597-4900
Toll free: 1-866-625-5179
TTY: 416-597-4903
TTY Toll Free: 1-866 612-8627


Eco Justice


Arch Disability Law Centre

Canadian Human Rights Commission
Make a complaint
Toll Free: 1-888-214-1090
TTY: 1-888-643-3304
FAX: 613-996-9661
Twitter: @cdnhumanrights
Facebook: CanadianHumanRightsCommission
Youtube: CHRC


Get Active.
Be heard.

Copy any of the information below and email, tweet, instagram or facebook it to your candidates. We can make a difference.

Chemical sensitivity has been a recognized disability since 2000 and a protected class in the humans rights commission since 2007. Yet toxic cleaners and scented products are still being used in all hospitals, community centres, schools, transit and government buildings. This is a detriment to approximately 15% of the population of Canada, based on studies by the Women’s College Hospital Environmental Sensitivities physicians. This creates further disability and cost.

Why don’t we have adult or Paediatric Environmental Sensitivities specialists in Ontario? Why aren’t schools following the safe guidelines?​ We need a better base standard of care for kids.

We need to institute a scent free policy for the staff in public buildings based off the existing policy the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. People are getting hurt.

We need knowledge management outreach to educate doctors throughout Canada about chemical sensitivities and their treatments, and increase funding to our current specialists so they can work on ensuring people in need are not further disabled. What are you doing to help?